This gluten/dairy free homemade taco seasoning is for my Mother-in-Law! She loves having taco night when she comes to visit from Michigan! She always says it tastes so fresh.
I believe making your own taco seasoning tastes so much better than what comes in a packet. I also like to use Organic Bearito taco shells which makes a difference in freshness.
Disclaimer: These portions are all just a guess. I don’t like to measure when it comes to creating in the kitchen. Please just let this be a guide for your own creation…
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- BROWN 1 pound ground bison until just about brown.
- MIX 1 small chopped onion and 1/2 chopped green bell pepper to the bison.
- CONTINUE to brown ground bison until no longer pink, drain, and set aside.
- KEEP skillet off heat and add 2 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tbsp. dried oregano, 2 tsp. ground cumin, 2 tsp. ground coriander, 2 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, and a pinch of ground cinnamon.
- PLACE skillet onto a medium high heat and stir spices for a minute.
- ADD 1/4 cup water, bring to simmer, and mix in the ground bison.
- LOWER heat to the lowest setting, cover, and simmer for 2-4 hours; stirring occasionally.
- STIR in some S/P.
I believe using mostly organic ingredients makes your taco taste the freshest.
I like to slather some homemade guacamole on one side of my taco shell, refried beans with onions and mild chili peppers on the other side, then the taco meat, lettuce, salsa, and green onion.
They may get sloppy, but they are so terribly delicious!!
Grateful Day – I am grateful for my Mother-In-Law today. I’m grateful that she likes my cooking and that she likes to spend so much time with our son!
Have you tried making your own homemade taco seasoning?
Thank you for listening!