This gluten free and vegan spinach lentil soup will warm your bones! You could put this over a sweet potato or some cooked rice to make it a hearty meal. My aunt suggested serving it with some good crusty bread. (gf of course)
Disclaimer: These portions are all just a guess. I don’t like to measure when it comes to creating in the kitchen. Please just let this be a guide for your own creation…
Spinach Lentil Soup
- HEAT 1 tbsp. coconut oil on medium high heat in pan.
- SAUTE 1/2 chopped onion, 1/2 chopped yellow bell pepper, and 1 peeled/chopped carrot with some sea salt until just about tender.
- ADD 2-3 cloves chopped garlic, a pinch of red pepper flakes, 1 tsp.. ground garam masala, 1 tsp. ground turmeric, 2 tsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. ground ginger, and S/P.
- STIR in 1/2 cup broth, 1-14.5 oz. can unsalted, fire-roasted chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp. local honey, 1 can of rinsed & drained lentils.
- SIMMER on low for about 1/2 hour or so.
- STIR in about a cup or more of fresh chopped spinach and let simmer until slightly wilted.
- ADD some S/P.
I loved the combination of flavors for this spinach lentil soup. I’m still trying to get turmeric into my daily routine because it has great anti-inflammatory properties to it!
I feel like I let the spinach go a little longer than I usually do and it became more wilted than I like in this dish. Don’t make that mistake too. Chopped kale would be a good substitution for the spinach.
I would love to travel the world and work alongside people in their kitchen as they prepared a meal. Could you imagine how great of a learning experience that would provide?
Grateful Day – I feel so blessed to be able to spend so much time with my son! He has such an imagination. It is truly amazing to watch the world unfold through his eyes. Everything is so new, exiting, fun, and sometimes so serious.
What is your favorite soup to make?
Thank you for listening!