Gluten/dairy free spatchcocked BBQ chicken is such a quick way to cook a whole chicken! My dearest friend from “across the pond” first brought this method to my attention about 8 years ago.
The crispy skin and juicy hickory smoked flavor of this bird is always a big hit in our home!!
Spatchcock simply means to split open a bird to grill.
Disclaimer: These portions are all just a guess. I don’t like to measure when it comes to creating in the kitchen. Please just let this be a guide for your own creation…
Spatchcocked BBQ Chicken
- MIX together in a bowl; 2 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tbsp. smoked paprika, 1 tbsp. paprika, 2 tbsp. garlic powder, a ton of sea salt, and cracked black pepper.
- REMOVE the backbone with kitchen shears and the packet of 1 large whole chicken
- PLACE bird on a grill proof pan and push down on it with your hands to flatten it.
- DRIZZLE bird with some EVOO or rub coconut oil over it.
- PULL the skin apart a little bit from the meat to rub spice mixture under skin and then rub it over the skin as well.
- GRILL skin side up on high heat until no longer pink. Put some foil over it if it looks like it’s starting to burn.
I love my Traeger grill because the different flavored pellets add a whole other element to anything that you grill. I used the hickory smoked pellets on this one. I really enjoy a crispy skin on my spatchcocked BBQ chicken and this one delivered it!!
You could ask your butcher to remove the backbone and the lovely little packet in the cavity. However, you could use those to make a homemade broth.
Grateful Day – I am grateful for all the phone calls and experiences I was given with my dearest friend. I cherish the memories we created and will never forget her. Thank you Sue for gracing me with your presence on this earth, you were taken way too soon from us all.
Have you tried to spatchcock a chicken?
Thank you for listening!