Gluten/dairy free beef stew is such a yummy comfort food. I love using my slow cooker in the winter!
I enjoy tasting a little of everything in one bite, so I cut everything to bite size.
Disclaimer: These portions are all just a guess. I don’t like to measure when it comes to creating in the kitchen. Please just let this be a guide for your own creation…
- PLACE 1 large chopped onion, 2-3 large chopped carrots, 2 chopped stalks of celery, 2 bay leaves, and 1 lb. peeled/chopped russet potatoes into your slow cooker.
- SPRINKLE 2-3 lbs. beef stew meat with S/P.
- HEAT 1 tbsp. coconut oil in a big skillet.
- PLACE meat into hot skillet and brown each side. Do not over crowd the skillet or move the meat around too much. The meat will start to give a little when it’s time to flip. If it’s stuck then it’s not ready to flip.
- REMOVE meat from the skillet and place into slow cooker.
- REDUCE heat of skillet to medium.
- ADD to skillet 1 tbsp. dried rosemary, 1 tbsp. dried thyme, 2 tsp. smoked paprika, 1 tbsp. rubbed sage, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1 tbsp. garlic powder.
- STIR into skillet 1 cup red wine scrapping the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the skillet. Let reduce for a couple minutes.
- ADD that to your slow cooker along with a 32 oz. box of broth and some water if needed to cover everything.
- COOK on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours in your slow cooker.
- 30 minutes before serving add flour.
- WHISK 3 tbsp. sweet rice flour with about 2 tbsp. room temperature water until you get a paste like consistency.
- WHISK that into the slow cooker.
- STIR in S/P to taste.
I like adding parsnips and celery root to beef stew, but this one is more of a traditional recipe.
Grateful Day – Having a kitchen to cook in!
What’s your favorite thing to make in your slow cooker?
Thank you for listening!