Gluten free/vegan mango, beans and rice for your Cuban craving! Sometimes we just need to take our palate on a little journey to paradise in the dead of winter;)
This is my version of Cuban cuisine. I’m not a huge fan of rice, but my husband likes it. I sprinkled the rice on mine like I do with quinoa. He added a lot more rice to his.
Disclaimer: These portions are all just a guess. I don’t like to measure when it comes to creating in the kitchen. Please just let this be a guide for your own creation…
Mango, Beans and Rice
- SAUTE 1/2 chopped onion & 1/2 chopped red bell pepper in 1 tbsp. coconut oil with some course sea salt until just about tender.
- ADD 2 cloves chopped garlic, 1 tsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. ground coriander, 1 tsp. dried oregano, a pinch of red pepper flakes, & S/P. Let this cook for about a minute to open up all those spices.
- STIR in 1/4 cup broth, 1 can unsalted rinsed/drained black beans, & 1/2 cup cubed mango.
- TURN heat to low and let the flavors marinate for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- STIR in 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and heat through about 5 minutes.
- STIR in 1 tbsp. lime juice, some green onions, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and S/P.
Another dish that you can play with on flavors and ingredients. You can enjoy this mango, beans and rice hot or cold. We prefer it hot, but this would be a great picnic item! There I go again thinking of summer;)
Grateful Day – We never know which direction our lives will turn. I’m grateful that it’s led us to where we are now. Learning lessons through the pain that we all face is truly divine intervention.
It’s our job to live our authentic life. What or who has helped you live yours?
Thank you for listening!