Gluten free and vegan Pico de Gallo spaghetti is one of my favorite combinations! Fresh, light, and basilicious! Basil is the best smell in the world, other than coffee. Basil is the only ingredient I switched from the traditional Pico de Gallo recipe. I love it with cilantro as well though.
Obviously, my inspiration for this dish came when I was eating a big bowl of pico de gallo. My mind immediately went to ‘why couldn’t I add this to spaghetti?’ of course;)
Disclaimer: These portions are all just a guess. I don’t like to measure when it comes to creating in the kitchen. Please just let this be a guide for your own creation…
Pico de Gallo Spaghetti
- PULSE 4 large tomatoes, 1/2 small onion, 2-3 cloves of garlic, juice of 1/2 of a small lime, a big handful of fresh sweet basil, S/P, and 1-2 jalapeño’s (seeds in will be hotter than with the seeds out).
- REDUCE about 1/2 cup red wine.
- ADD pulsed mixture and just keep it warm until the pasta is ready.
- COOK 1 package of brown rice spaghetti (I prefer the Tinkyada brand) according to package.
- MIX the spaghetti into the sauce, add some EVOO, and S/P. Let it marry for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally.
- TOP each dish with a little more fresh basil.
I start the water for the pasta before I put the pulsed ingredients into a hot pot. You don’t want to overcook the basil. Right before I put the pasta into the boiling water, I put the wine into the pan to reduce. So that 1/2 way through the pasta cooking process I can then add the pulsed mixture into the reduced wine and turn the heat to as low as it goes.
I hope that all made since and you try a version of this pico de gallo spaghetti! It really has a lot of simple fresh flavors!
Grateful For – Everyday I count my blessings for my family and our health!
What’s your favorite spaghetti combination?
Thanks for listening!