Gluten and dairy free chili 3 ways is perfect for a chili bar in any family! Chili is a must have on a snow day, right!? My husband isn’t big on spaghetti, so he enjoyed it plain which is the main photo. Sometimes he puts his over rice though. Our son and I enjoyed ours with spaghetti. However, I added some sour cream, green onion, and yellow bell peppers to mine.
This is how I enjoyed it…
Disclaimer: These portions are all just a guess. I don’t like to measure when it comes to creating in the kitchen. Please just let this be a guide for your own creation…
- BROWN 1 lb. ground bison until no longer pink; drain excess grease off and put into slow cooker. Wipe pan out with paper towel.
- STIR into the bison 1 tbsp. ground sage and 1 tsp. ground cinnamon.
- MELT 1 tbsp. coconut oil on medium high heat.
- ADD 1 small diced onion, 1/2 diced green bell pepper, 1/2 diced yellow bell pepper, 1 shredded carrot, and some sea salt; sauté until just about tender,stirring constantly. Just a couple minutes because it’s going to cook all day and you don’t want the veg. to get soggy.
- ADD 1 tsp. crushed fennel, 1 tbsp. dried oregano, 2 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tbsp. ground cumin, 1 tbsp. ground coriander, 1 tbsp. garlic powder, and 1 tsp. smoked paprika; stir for just about a minute to release all that flavor.
- STIR in one small can of tomato paste.
- ADD a cup of red wine.
- STIR in a can of fire roasted, no salt added, crushed tomatoes. (I use the Muir Glenn organic brand)
- ADD mixture to slow cooker.
- DRAIN and rinse a can of pinto beans and red kidney beans; add to slow cooker.
- STIR in some water, 2 bay leaves, and a little S/P.
- COOK in slow cooker all day on medium heat for a small simmer. I have to use low heat on my slow cooker to get a small simmer. Every slow cooker is different.
Just before serving…
- ADD 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar and some more S/P.
At this point, I took some chili out of the slow cooker for my husband that prefers his without spaghetti.
- ADD tinkyada spaghetti to boiling water with some sea salt.
- COOK per package instructions.
- DRAIN noodles.
- STIR noodles into the chili.
- STIR in about 1-2 tbsp. EVOO.
This is how our toddler enjoyed his with brown rice spaghetti…
I love the idea of creating a chili bar for a party! Maybe add some corn chips, dogs, fries, baked potatoes, onions, hot sauce, and cheese. MMMMM
How do you enjoy your chili?
Thanks for listening!