Gluten free and vegan cauliflower rice w/ roasted tomatoes can take on whatever flavor profile you want!
I’ve never been a fan of rice, but this recipe I can definitely say I’m a big fan of! I make mine a little different than most. I like roasting the cauliflower first to give it another depth of flavor. I also, add a couple of unexpected ingredients.
I’ve been incorporating turmeric with a good fat and cracked black pepper for all the health benefits into a lot of dishes lately. It’s also a fantastic flavor enhancer. It really adds a lot of punch to some bland foods.
Disclaimer: These portions are all just a guess. I don’t like to measure when it comes to creating in the kitchen. Please just let his be a guide for your own creation…
- CUT 1 head of cauliflower into smaller pieces and place on sheet pan.
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees.
- MIX cauliflower with 1-2 tbsp. EVOO, 1 tbsp. ground turmeric, cracked black pepper, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, and some sea salt.
- BAKE for about 20 minutes on bottom rack of oven flipping once.
- COOL and then pulse in a blender to get a rice like consistency.
- SLICE a box of cherry or plum tomatoes in half and place onto a sheet pan.
- ADD 2-3 chopped garlic cloves.
- STIR in some EVOO and S/P.
- BAKE at 425 degrees on top shelf of oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- STIR in some chopped green onion and chopped basil.
- COMBINE cauliflower with tomato mixture.
- BAKE another 3-5 minutes.
- STIR in a little lemon juice, and little more S/P to taste.
I made this cauliflower rice recipe last summer when the tomatoes were at their peak! I have substituted the basil for cilantro and lemon juice for lime juice which turned out great also. I think I may try it with some colorful heirloom tomatoes this summer!
I’m hoping this year will be the year to build a garden or at least get some hanging pots. I would love to at least have some cherry tomatoes, basil, cilantro, and garlic! That would be a nice little start. Although I do use a lot of onions too. hmmmm
Thanks for listening!